Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Desire Fulfilled

Do you ever wake up in the morning and want something? Just unaccountably desire it? You hadn’t been thinking about it at all previously but all of a sudden you want it? So much you can almost taste it? I do. Sometimes. I certainly did on Saturday morning. I awoke at the obscenely early hour of 8:30 and left my girlfriends sweetly sleeping behind me in bed, made tea, and sat down with a book. That’s when the craving hit.

I wanted a mimosa. A fresh, bubbly glass of orange juice and all the charm that champagne always brings. I really, really wanted one. I felt that if I had a mimosa at my side at that moment, life would be complete.

However, not possessing either champagne, orange juice, or the budget for a brunch out, it looked like I would be out of luck. But! I still had half a bottle of blood orange soda that I picked up from Trader Joe’s the other evening and a bottle of Absolute in my freezer. Those would be delightful together, I thought. But then I decided it wouldn’t be the same without enough food to cushion the alcohol and of course, that food needed to be brunch food. With a bound, I woke up my sweetly sleeping girlfriend and dragged her to the grocery store in my apartment complex. There we picked up, among other things, the essentials: organic eggs and bacon.

I played sous chef to my GF while she heated up butter in my (one, lone) skillet. Then, submerging slices of bread in whipped eggs and vanilla extract, I handed the drip pieces to her. And let me tell you, she makes amazing French toast. I don’t often eat French toast because it’s so often too sweet and complex for me. But this was beautifully simple, just eggs and vanilla and spattering of cinnamon at the end when it was served. It even kept well and I ate a piece this morning for breakfast as well.

The rest of brunch—bacon done to a perfect crisp and then eggs scrambled in the drippings with herbs de Provence to provide a light touch of flavor to balance all the heaviness—was delightful. And spiked blood orange juice was the absolute perfect accompaniment.

2 comments:

pb said...

my darling i cannot think of anything that sounds as delightful as that morning :)
i'm was struck today with a desire to bake. nothing quite in particular. just bake something. so on my way back from work i bounded over to trader joes to see their selection of boxed mixes and saw this scrumptious looking brownie mix. I have been consuming chocolate daily past week or so (probably my body trying to cope with the complete lack of caffeine in my system). BUT! the brownies are baking in cupcake shapes as we speak! yum :)

pb said...

my darling i cannot think of anything that sounds as delightful as that morning :)
i'm was struck today with a desire to bake. nothing quite in particular. just bake something. so on my way back from work i bounded over to trader joes to see their selection of boxed mixes and saw this scrumptious looking brownie mix. I have been consuming chocolate daily past week or so (probably my body trying to cope with the complete lack of caffeine in my system). BUT! the brownies are baking in cupcake shapes as we speak! yum :)